Women's Tennis Loses in Lubbock
April 1, 2012
LUBBOCK, Texas – The 47th-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team lost to No. 22 Texas Tech Sunday, April 1 in Lubbock, 5-2.
Oklahoma (9-10, 4-3 Big 12) lost its first doubles point in eight matches while OU’s 46th-ranked duo of Marie-Pier Huet and Whitney Ritchie also lost its first match in eight duals.
“We were a little unfortunate not to claim doubles,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “Tech was a lot better than us today at certain sports in singles and would have won this match with or without the doubles point.”
Texas Tech (15-3, 5-0 Big 12) remains undefeated in conference play and currently stands in first place in the league standings.
Huet and Ritchie lose to 28th-ranked Samantha Adams and Kenna Kilgo of Texas Tech, 9-8, at the No. 1 doubles position.
OU picked up one win in doubles at the No. 2 position as Mia Lancaster and Abbi Melrose topped Nikki Sanders and Caroline Starck, 8-6.
“Mia (Lancaster) and Whitney (Ritchie) stepped up for us today like they have been doing all season long,” Mullins added.
The Sooners won their two match points at the No. 1 and No. 3 singles spots in super tiebreaker sets.
Ritchie won at the No. 1 singles position against Texas Tech’s Elizabeth Ullathorne, 4-6, 6-2, 1-0, while Mia Lancaster defeated 107th-ranked Rashmi Teltumbde of Tech, 6-7, 6-2, 1-0, at the No. 2 spot.
OU continues conference action Saturday, April 7 as the Sooners look to sweep the Bedlam series with Oklahoma State at 1 p.m., in Stillwater, Okla. OU won the last matchup in Norman, 5-2, on March 3.
No. 22 Texas Tech 5, Oklahoma 2
1. No. 28 Kilgo/Adams def. No. 46 Huet/Ritchie (OU), 9-8
2. Lancaster/Melrose (OU) def. Sanders/Starck (TTU), 8-6
3. Teltumbde/Ullathorne (TTU) def. Long/Wofford (OU), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TTU), 4-6, 6-2, 1-0
2. Samantha Adams (TTU) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. No. 107 Rashmi Teltumbde (TTU), 6-7, 7-2, 1-0
4. Caroline Starck (TTU) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Kenna Kilgo (TTU) def. Nicole Long (OU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Nikki Sanders (TTU) def. Whitney Wofford (OU), 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5, 1, 6, 3