March 20, 2012
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The 25th-ranked Sooners defeated No. 31 Florida State, 6-1, at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center in Tallahassee, Fla., on Tuesday afternoon.
"We competed very well today," John Roddick said. "There were some really tough matches out there that we did a great job of pulling through. We also did a nice job of getting back on track in doubles as well."
The Sooners, who improved to 8-3, opened up the dual sweeping the doubles point to take the early, 1-0, lead.
OU’s Tsvetan Mihov and Peerakit Siributwong, ranked No. 68, were the first to conclude action at the No. 2 position where the duo defeated FSU’s Blake Davis and Kelly Houston, 8-4.
Lawrence Formentera and David Pultr duplicated the previous doubles score against the Seminole’s Locke and Andres Bucaro at No. 3 spot.
Eighteenth-ranked Costin Paval and Dane Webb closed out the sweep at the No. 1 position where the tandem earned a win in the tiebreaker set, 7-3, to take the match, 9-8.
In singles action, Oklahoma won five out of the six matches to run away with victory.
Siributwong, ranked No. 67, was the first to clinch a point for OU after he downed Cristian Gonzales-Mendez at the No. 4 position, 6-3, 6-2.
OU held a 3-0 lead after Pultr earned a victory at the No. 6 position over FSU’s Dominic Controne. After taking the first set, 6-3, he dropped the second, 6-1. However, the Czech native clinched the match in the final set, 6-3.
Guillermo Alcorta clinched the dual for the Sooners after he disposed of the Seminoles’ Jordan Kelly-Houston in straight set fashion, 7-6, 6-4.
Fifteenth-ranked Paval was the next Sooner to finish his match against FSU’s Davis. The Sooner earned a 7-6, 7-5 win.
OU sustained its only loss at the No. 3 position where the Sooners’ Mihov, ranked No. 103, won his first set, 6-3, but dropped the following two sets, 7-5, 1-0(2).
Webb, ranked No. 78, earned the Sooners’ final point. The freshman split the first two sets, 6-3, 1-6, but took the final set 6-3.
Next up, Roddick's squad heads to Ft. Worth, Texas, to take on TCU Sunday, March 25 at 1 p.m.
No. 25 Oklahoma 6, No. 31 Florida State 1
1) No. 18 Paval/Webb (OU) def. Cotrone/Reed (FSU) 9-8 (3)
2) Mihov/Siributwong (OU) def. Davis/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-4
3) Formentera/Pultur (OU) def. Bucaro/Lock (FSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1) No. 15 Costin Paval (OU) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 7-6 (5), 7-5
2) Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 7-6 (5), 6-4
3) Andres Bucaro (FSU) def. No. 103 Tsvetan Mihov (OU) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-2)
4) No. 67 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
5) No. 78 Dane Webb (OU) def. Jason Zafiros (FSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6) David Pultur (OU) def. Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 6, 2*, 1, 3, 5