Norman, Okla.- The women’s tennis team fell 5-2 to No. 55 Arkansas Friday at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark.
The Sooners were led with two singles victories by junior Christi Baxley at No. 2 singles and junior Chelsea Orr at No. 5 singles.
At the No.2 spot Baxley defeated Arkansas’ Maryoni Franco in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1.
“Christi played very well.” said head coach Mark Johnson. “She stepped up and did what she needed to do.” .
Orr who was coming off a win last Monday also played well. She swept Arkansas' Rachel Wilhelm 6-2, 6-3.
One of the most exciting matches of the evening was senior Irina Lykina at No. 3 singles. Lykina started off strong winning the first set 6-0. However Arkansas’ Nanar Airapetian came back and won the second set 6-4. The two then battled it out in a super tie-breaker where Lykina fell 10-4.
"It was a tough match," said Johnson. "Irina play hard and fought hard."
Oklahoma's Gabby Baker, who was out Monday due to her knee, competed in doubles and then sat out for singles.
"Overall I thought we played well in 7 out of 9 spots," said Johnson. "We just have to keep working to compete well at all 9 spots."
All three doubles matches were a battle; however the Sooners came up short of the doubles point after being defeated at the No. 1 and 2 spots. At No. 3 Purice and junior Christi Baxley pulled out an 8-4 victory over Melissa Hoffmeister and Willhelm.
With Arkansas’ win Friday the series record between the teams is now tied 11-11.
The Sooners will return to the court Tuesday Feb. 13 when they travel to Tulsa to take on the Golden Hurricane.
Arkansas 5, Oklahoma 2
February 9, 2007
1. Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Monica Purice (OU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Maryori Franco (UA) 6-4, 6-1
3. Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Irina Lykina(OU) 0-6, 6-4, 1-0 (4)
4. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Elena Antakova (OU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Rachel Wilhelm (UA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Melissa Hoffmeister (UA) def. Evgenia Ostryakova (OU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Audrey Bordeleau/Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Gabby Baker/Irina Lykina (OU) 8-5*
2. Maryori Franco/Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Chelsea Orr/ Elena Antakova (OU) 8-5
3. Monica Purice/Christi Baxley (OU) def. Melissa Hoffmeister/Rachel Wilhelm (UA) 8-4