Feb. 20, 2009
University Park, Pa.—The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team won big on the road Friday night, beating the Penn State Nittany Lions, 6-1.
The Sooners claimed two of three doubles matches, giving OU an early 1-0 lead. Two OU freshmen, Peta Maree Lancaster and Kristina Radan, shut out PSU’s Maria Prishlyak and Dorothy Dohanics at the No. 3 doubles position, 8-0. OU sophomore Tara Eckel and freshman Marie-Pier Huet won their first match as a pair, defeating PSU’s Lauren McCarthy and Denisa Zobeideh, 8-5.
In singles action OU claimed five of the six matches to clinch the dual, 6-1. Sophomore Ana-Maria Constantinescu, ranked No. 6 in the Central Region in singles, remains unbeaten at the No. 1 singles spot following Friday’s match. Constantinescu dropped only 3 games against PSU’s Monika Mical, claiming the victory, 6-2, 6-1.
"I am really proud of the team's performance tonight," OU head coach David Mullins said. "We fought extremely hard and never let up."
The Sooners will play their second Big Ten opponent of the season Saturday, Feb. 21 at noon, facing the Purdue Boilermakers.
For updated results following Saturday’s match check SoonerSports.com.
Oklahoma 6, Penn State 1
1. Mical/Lotto (PSU) def. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OU) 8-7
2. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. McCarthy/Zobeideh (PSU) 8-5
3. Lancaster/Radan (OU) def. Prishlyak/Dohanics (PSU) 8-0
1. Ana Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Monika Mical (PSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Maria Prishlyak (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Lauren McCarthy (PSU) def. Kristina Radan (OU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) def. Denisa Zobeideh (PSU) 4-6, 7-6(6), 5-3 retired
5. Tara Eckel (OU) def. Dorothy Dohanics (PSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Marie- Pier Huet (OU) def. Leyla Morzan (PSU) 6-2, 6-4