NORMAN – The No. 18 OU men’s tennis team defeated Northwestern, 4-1, Saturday afternoon in its first match of the ITA Kickoff Weekend to move to 6-0 on the spring season.
The Sooners will face No. 16 Illinois tomorrow at 1 p.m. CT with the winner qualifying for the ITA Division I National Indoor Championships in Seattle, Wash., Feb. 16-19.
“First of all, I’m really proud of our guys. We came out with a lot of energy. We were ready to go in the doubles. I thought Northwestern did a great job of fighting back there at No. 1. They actually got up match point on us on courts one for the doubles point.” Crowell added, “Our guys hung in there, we made some plays when it counted. We talk about that in the locker room, when it’s time to win we need to make plays and that’s what we did.”
The Sooners began the day with a close win on the doubles courts over the Wildcats (1-2). The point came down to court one where junior Ferran Calvo and freshman Jake Van Emburgh clinched with a 7-6 (5) victory over Northwestern’s Dominik Stary and Ben Vandixhorn. The No. 43 ranked duo of Jochen Bertsch and Adrian Oetzbach won their match on court two, 7-5, over NU’s Nick Brookes and Antonioni Fasano.
The Sooners’ No. 3 team of Alex Bakshi and James Davis dropped their match to Northwestern’s Chris Ephron and Michael Lorenzini, 6-3.
In singles action, junior Alex Bakshi won in straight sets from the No. 1 spot, 6-3, 6-3, over Northwestern’s Antonioni Fasano to give the Sooners their first singles point. Freshman Max Stewart also got off the courts quickly with a 6-1, 6-2, decision over Northwestern’s A.J. Joshi on court six to extend OU's lead to 3-0.
The Wildcats got on the board with a win from the No. 3 line with Nick Brookes besting OU's Adrian Oetzbach 6-3, 7-5. Freshman Jake Van Emburgh clinched the match for the Sooners on court four with a 6-4, 7-6 (2), decision over NU’s Ben Vandixhorn.
When play was stopped, OU's Ferran Calvo led 7-5, 5-4 on court two, while Jochen Bertsch was locked in a battle on court five.
Sunday's match with Illinois will be carried
For more information on OU men's tennis, follow the team on Twitter @OU_MTennis.
OU 4, Northwestern 1
1. Alex Bakshi (OU) def. Antonioni Fasano (NU) 6-3, 6-3
2. #17 Ferran Calvo (OU) vs. Dominik Stary (NU) 7-5, 5-4, unfinished
3. Nick Brookes (NU) def. Adrian Oetzbach (OU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Jake Van Emburgh (OU) def. Ben Vandixhorn (NU) 6-4, 7-6(2)
5. Jochen Bertsch (OU) vs. Jason Seidman (NU) 6-1, 6-7 (4-7), 0-2, unfinished
6. Max Stewart (OU) def. AJ Joshi (NU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Jake Van Emburgh/Ferran Calvo (OU) def. Dominik Stary/Ben Vandixhorn (NU) 7-6 (7-5)
2. #43 Adrian Oetzbach/Jochen Bertsch (OU) def. Nick Brookes/Antonioni Fasano (NU) 7-5
3. Chris Ephron/Michael Lorenzini (NU) def. Alex Bakshi/James Davis (OU) 6-3