Sooners Take Down Old Dominion, 4-0
NORFOLK, Va. – The No. 39 Oklahoma women’s tennis team dominated in its first match of the Sooners’ Virginia roadtrip, defeating Old Dominion, 4-0, Tuesday.
With the win, the Sooners improve to 9-3 overall, while Old Dominion fell to 9-5. Oklahoma has now matched its number of victories last season, roughly halfway through its 2017 slate.
“Before the match, we spoke about investing in an optimistic mindset before every point, and I was very impressed with how well we did this on each court,” said head coach Audra Cohen. “We stepped up and earned it today and we didn't wait for them to let up and give it to us.”
The Sooners captured the doubles point to open the match. OU's tandem of Malene Stripp and Julie Byrne routed Holly Hutchinson and Ingrid Vojcinakova, 6-1, from the No. 1 line. The Sooners' pair is now 5-1 on the season.
At No. 2, juniors Lily Miyazaki and Simran Sethi topped Borislava Botusharov and Marijana Novakovic, 6-3, to clinch the doubles point for Oklahoma. Ann Selim and Serena Nash were defeated by ODU's Adriana Rajkovic and Natalya Malenko, 6-3, on court three.
In singles play, Selim set the tone for the Sooners with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep over Malencko on court six. The freshman is the only Sooner to shut out an opponent this season.
“Ann didn't let off the gas pedal today,” said Cohen. “She wanted every point no matter how far up she was in the match. She spread her momentum to the rest of the team.”
Stripp defeated Eliska Petrackova 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 3 slot. The junior never trailed in the match en route to her eighth victory of the year.
On court one, No. 21 Miyazaki topped No. 89 Borislava Botusharov, 7-6, 6-1. In her first set, Miyazaki trailed 3-1 and traded games with Botusharov until they tied the opening stanza at 6-all. Miyazaki held on to win the tiebreaker, then surged back in the second frame for the straight-set victory to clinch the match for the Sooners.
When play was halted, OU's Mimi Fotopoulos led No. 84 Holly Hutchinson 2-0 on court two after taking the first set, 7-6. Byrne was tied at one set apiece with ODU's Nataliia Vlasova, while Nash was locked in a second-set battle on court four.
Oklahoma returns to action Tuesday as it faces VCU. The neutral site match will be played at Old Dominion at 6 p.m. CT. Live stats will be available here.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
1. #21 Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. #89 Borislava Botusharov (ODU) 7-6, 6-1
2. Mimi Fotopoulos (OU) vs #84 Holly Hutchinson (ODU) 7-6, 2-0, unfinished
3. Malene Stripp (OU) def. Eliska Petrackova (ODU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Ingrid Vojcinakova (ODU) vs. Serena Nash (OU) 1-6, 5-5, unfinished
5. Nataliia Vlasova (ODU) vs. Julie Byrne (OU) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0, unfinished
6. Ann Selim (OU) def. Natalya Malenko (ODU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Malene Stripp/Julie Byrne (OU) def. Holly Hutchinson/Ingrid Vojcinakova (ODU) 6-1
2. Lily Miyazaki/Simran Sethi (OU) def. Borislava Botusharov/Marijana Novakovic (ODU) 6-3
3. Adriana Rajkovic/Natalya Malenko (ODU) def. Ann Selim/Serena Nash (OU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,1)