Sooners Take Down Wisconsin, 4-0
NORMAN — The Oklahoma women’s tennis team topped Wisconsin 4-0 Sunday inside the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion to earn its first shutout of the season.
The Sooners (3-1) took the doubles point to start the match to grab an early 1-0 lead. The freshman duo of Serena Nash and Ann Selim notched its second win at No. 3, making quick work of Wisconsin’s Sydney Rider and Kendall Kirsch, 6-1.
OU head coach Audra Cohen tweaked the No. 1 doubles pair, matching junior Malene Stripp with freshman Julie Byrne, and the change yielded successful results as Stripp and Byrne defeated Badgers Maria Avgerinos and Melissa Pick to clinch the doubles point.
“I think the girls handled it really well,” said Cohen of Stripp and Byrne. “They really stepped up and just played offensive tennis from start to finish and kind of led the way for the other two teams.”
“[Yesterday] was the first time we’d played together, even in practice, and we just jelled really well,” said Byrne. “I think our height makes a difference — we’re a bigger presence and we brought lots of energy and tried to do our best, and luckily we got a win.”
Stripp took the momentum from the doubles win to dominate in singles play with a convincing 6-1, 6-1 triumph on court three. In the first frame, Stripp went up 5-0 before the Badgers’ Kirsch nabbed a game, but fought back to take it for Sooners. The junior made quick work of Kirsch in the second set to collect her third singles victory of the season.
No. 16 Miyazaki pushed OU’s advantage to 3-0 by topping Avgerinos in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, at the top of the lineup. Miyazaki dropped the first two games in the opening set on court one, but battled back to register her second singles win of the spring season.
At No. 5, Byrne clinched the match for the Sooners with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Christina Zordani. After dropping the opening set, Byrne used two early service breaks to win the final two sets.
When play was halted, OU’s Fotopoulos and Nash were locked in third-set battles on court two and four, respectively. Selim was up one set and leading 4-2 in the second frame when play was abandoned.
The Badgers' loss dropped them to 3-3 on the season.
The Sooners continue their homestand and host three matches next weekend, beginning with Tulsa on Saturday at 1 p.m. CT at the Headington Family Tennis Center. OU will also host SMU at 11 a.m. CT and UMKC at 3:30 p.m. CT on Sunday.
1. #16 Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Maria Avgerinos (WIS) 6-3, 6-1
2. Mimi Fotopoulos (OU) vs. Kelsey Grambeau (WIS) 1-6, 6-0, 3-3, unfinished
3. Malene Stripp (OU) def. Kendall Kirsch (WIS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Serena Nash (OU) vs. Michelle Linden (WIS) 6-3, 2-6, 3-2, unfinished
5. Julie Byrne (OU) def. Christina Zordani (WIS) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Ann Selim (OU) vs. Melissa Pick (WIS) 7-5, 4-2, unfinished
1. Malene Stripp/Julie Byrne (OU) def. Maria Avgerinos/Melissa Pick (WIS) 6-3
2. Lily Miyazaki/Mimi Fotopoulos (OU) def. Kelsey Grambeau/Christina Zordani (WIS) 5-3
3. Ann Selim/Serena Nash (OU) def. Sydney Rider/Kendall Kirsch (WIS) 6-1