NORMAN – The Oklahoma women’s tennis team tallied two wins in its doubleheader Sunday, taking down previously undefeated SMU 7-0 and UMKC 6-1 at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
With the pair of victories, the Sooners improved to 5-2 on the season, while SMU fell to 6-1 and UMKC to 2-6.
“I really liked our energy,” said OU head coach Audra Cohen of her team’s performance. “I think they came out pretty optimistic on every court and really found a way through the tight moments by seeing them as opportunities to grow.”
The Sooners opened the first match by grabbing the doubles point from SMU. At No. 1, Julie Byrne and Malene Stripp collected their third victory together with a 6-3 win over SMU’s Dasha Sharapova and Liza Buss. Freshmen Serena Nash and Ann Selim clinched the doubles point for OU with a 6-4 win from the No. 3 line, defeating the Mustangs' Mary Wright and Macie Elliot.
Byrne sprinted past SMU’s Mary Wright 6-0, 6-2 from the No. 5 line to put the Sooners up 2-0. The freshman dominated in the first set to shut out her opponent, then won four straight games to close out the match. Byrne handed Wright her first loss of the season after she won four straight for the Mustangs.
On court four, Nash snapped Sharapova’s six-match winning streak with a 6-3, 6-2 straight-set victory that put the Sooners ahead 3-0. Selim defeated SMU's Macie Elliot 6-4, 6-2 from the No. 6 line to clinch the match.
“It was definitely a confidence booster,” said Nash of her victory.
After dropping the first set, Stripp battled back to win 0-6, 6-3, 6-1, on court three. No. 16 Miyazaki also ended Liza Buss’ 5-0 streak at No. 1 as the junior rolled to a 6-1, 6-3 win at the top of the lineup. OU's Mimi Fotopoulos completed the sweep with a 6-2, 7-5 win on court two.
Not only did Oklahoma hand the Mustangs their first loss as a team this season, but also snapped four SMU players’ winning streaks in singles en route to the first match victory of the day.
“It’s definitely good to get the win today,” said Miyazaki. "I think the good thing about today was that I really focused on my feet and just tried to do the right things and I think that’s what carried me through.”
The Sooners continued to roll in the second match, knocking off UMKC, 6-1.
The ‘Roos only had four players available for the match and forfeited at No. 3 doubles and singles slots five and six.
The Sooners clinched the doubles point quickly when Miyazaki and Sethi defeated Melinda Johnson and Aliona Ladutska 6-1 from the No. 1 line.
Oklahoma's lead moved to 3-0 due to UMKC’s forfeits at No. 5 and 6. Junior Christie Brigante tallied a win in her first singles match of the season, defeating Thanushree Vale 6-3, 6-2 from the No. 4 line to clinch the match.
Nash earned her second singles win of the day, 6-4, 6-2, defeating UMKC's Aliona Ladutska on on court one. Ann Selim topped Melinda Johnson 6-3, 6-1, at No. 2 for OU's final singles triumph of the day.
At No. 3, Sethi fell to Mariam Kurasbediani in a 10-point tiebreaker. Sethi dropped the first set 6-3, then bounced back in the second frame to win 6-3 before Kurasbediani took the tiebreaker 10-7.
The Sooners are back in action at home Saturday when they face South Alabama at noon CT, then host Illinois on Sunday at 11 a.m. Admission to the Headington Family Tennis Center is free.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
Oklahoma 7, SMU 0
1. Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Liza Buss (SMU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Mimi Fotopoulos (OU) def. Sarai MonarrezYesaki (SMU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Malene Stripp (OU) def. Ana Perez-Lopez (SMU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Serena Nash (OU) def. Dasha Sharapova (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Julie Byrne (OU) def. Mary Wright (SMU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Ann Selim (OU) def. Macie Elliott (SMU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Malene Stripp/Julie Byrne (OU) def. Liza Buss/Dasha Sharapova (SMU) 6-3
2. Lily Miyazaki/Simran Sethi (OU) vs. Ana Perez-Lopez/Sarai MonarrezYesaki (SMU) 6-5, unfinished
3. Serena Nash/Ann Selim (OU) def. Mary Wright/Macie Elliott (SMU) 6-4
Order of finish:
Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,4,6,1,3,2)
Oklahoma 6, UMKC 1
1. Serena Nash (OU) def. Aliona Ladutska (UMKC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Ann Selim (OU) def. Melinda Johnson (UMKC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Mariam Kurasbediani (UMKC) def. Simran Sethi (OU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ann Pepper (OU) def. No player (UMKC), by forfeit
6. Brooke Withrow (OU) def. No player (UMKC), by forfeit
1. Lily Miyazaki/Simran Sethi (OU) def. Melinda Johnson/Aliona Ladutska (UMKC) 6-1
2. Serena Nash/Ann Selim (OU) vs. Mariam Kurasbediani/Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 3-4, unfinished
3. Brooke Withrow/Ann Pepper (OU) def. No player/No player (UMKC), by forfeit
Order of finish
Doubles (1, 3); Singles (5,6,4,2,1,3)